Have you ever woken up after a night’s sleep and heard birds singing a beautiful song through your open window? So happens, there’s a term for all those birdsongs: the dawn chorus. For whatever reason, birds see the sun rising and choose to start belting out their favorite songs. The songs of these birds, when they’re all sounding together, are a beautiful symphony.
But you may not notice the “dawn chorus” at all if you have neglected hearing loss. And that’s sad.
There are a lot of amazing sounds during the summer besides birdsongs that you may be missing. And if you find yourself missing out on the sounds of summer, it could be the result of some undiagnosed (or diagnosed and dismissed) hearing loss. But you can begin to enjoy all of those wonderful summer sounds again with the help of a device like a hearing aid.
The sounds of summer
You most likely think of a very hot sun in a clear blue sky when you think of summer. And then you begin to visualize the summer soundtrack that comes with this vision. Some sounds you might think about:
- The sound of birds singing, especially in the spring during, ahem, mating season. (Love songs aren’t just enjoyed by humans.)
- Peepers and crickets chirping a symphony as the sun goes down.
- The sound of your grandkids laughing and playing.
- Bees buzzing about helping nature bloom by pollinating flowers.
- The babbling of a stream or the crashing of waves.
You get the point. There are lots of sounds going on. The feeling and vibe of summer are considerably enhanced by these sounds. And these sounds by themselves bring great joy.
If these summer sounds (or any sounds of summer) seem different to you these days, it’s most likely because a noticeable amount of hearing loss has effectively snuck up on you. Once you’ve detected that issue, the next step is to do something about it.
Your summer can be more enjoyable with hearing aids
For most individuals, hearing aids are really about strengthening relationships. They’re about communication. You’ll be more mindful of what’s happening around you, better able to communicate with people around you, and appreciate the sounds in your life. And at those summer barbecues, for instance, that’s even more important.
The newest models of hearing aids can help you savor the sounds of summer, and they come with some really amazing built in tech, too. For instance, most modern hearing aids provide:
- Automatic programming: Modern hearing aids can automatically adjust to new environments or times of day, depending on how they’re programmed. This makes them simpler to use and more reliable.
- Machine learning: Cutting-edge algorithms (called machine learning) can help your hearing aids adapt to what you need, even before you need it. In noisy environments or when eliminating particular sounds, this can be especially handy.
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Out on the boat and want to listen to some music? Well, your hearing aids can be synced to the boat’s stereo via Bluetooth.
- Rechargeability: Your battery will stay charged throughout the day after charging when you are sleeping at night. Essentially, you can charge your hearing aids the same way you charge your cellphone. And when you vacation with your hearing aids, it becomes very hassle free.
- Smartphone compatibility: You can start to appreciate all kinds of features by connecting your hearing aid to your cellphone. Depending on the particular hearing situation, you will be able to manage the settings on your hearing aids using an app you can download on most cell phones.
- Noise reduction: If you want to hear the crashing of the waves, but not the roar of traffic behind you, you’ll want hearing aids that can help you sort out these sounds (just like your ears once did). Modern hearing aids have substantial noise reduction capabilities, so you can hear what you actually want to hear.
We can help you learn how your particular hearing needs can be met by your hearing aids (you can ask us if you can take your hearing aids into the water or on a mountain hike for example). Hearing aids frequently don’t get along with water. But you will have a richer overall summer experience with your hearing aids.
You’ll also want to ask us some standard questions about your hearing aid models. Will your hearing aids have a problem with hot weather, for example? And you should also ask, how can I safeguard my hearing aids from moisture in the air? Depending on the model of hearing aid, the answer to these questions will differ.
Maybe avoid these sounds
Some summer sounds, unlike the dawn chorus, will be harmful to your hearing and you should make sure to steer clear of them. These noisy sounds are a real hazard! And they’re damaging to everyone’s ears, not just those who have pre-existing hearing loss. Some of those sounds include:
- Live music: It’s a lot of fun to go and see a live music concert but the loud volume can be harmful to your ears. So you might want to exercise some caution and be picky about which concerts you attend and use earplugs.
- Boat engines: These engines are loud, so use some caution about proximity and duration. When you’re fishing, turn the engine off. Or, an even better plan would be to use some earplugs.
- Fireworks: Dogs have the right idea. Your hearing can most certainly be damaged by fireworks. This goes for both commercial and home launched fireworks. Best to simply stay away from fireworks completely.
This is only a partial list. For people who are dealing with hearing loss, summer may have a few less of these loud events.
That said, you may not be able to, or even want to, avoid all loud noises during the summer. So what can you do? Wearing ear protection is the best strategy. For example, before you go to a concert, put in a pair of earplugs so you can minimize a lot of the damage. But it’s essential that the hearing protection you chooses is effective.
Appreciate the sounds of summer
As the heat of summer gets more oppressive, if you have hearing loss, the summer sounds might seem like they’re getting further away. Which means, much of the joy of the season could get lost.
So you might need to pay us a visit if you want to be certain that you get the most from your summer. We will be able to determine whether your hearing is failing or not, and what kind of hearing aid will best suit your needs.
So start here if you’re ready to enjoy the dawn chorus. Because birdsongs are just the beginning of those incredible summer sounds.
Get a hearing tune-up this summer. Make an appointment today to find out which hearing aids are right for you!