How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a deceased relative or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated rather than throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
First, here are a few important statistics about loss of hearing and hearing aids in the United States:
- Of the total population, about 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have hearing loss 91% percent are above 50 years old
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would benefit almost 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever had them
This is really worrisome. Because health issues like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. In fact, new research comes out every day showing how crucial hearing is to your overall health. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in some instances even reverse them).
And the final compelling point is that hearing loss can cost the typical family $12,000 in earnings each year. But hearing aids can actually reduce that cost by up to 50%.
It might not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a big effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by many manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and talk with us so we can advise you on the correct recycling option for you. Or you can just give us a call.